Wednesday, November 29

November Fest ends with a bang

I believe I have already given a short introduction about this in a previous post. I was fortunate to make it to two concerts - In Unison and A Meeting of Minds. The compere is worth mentioning - Mr. Ramakrishnan (the one who acts as sandhya's father in the movie 'May Maadham'), former news reader. Such immaculate pronounciation and his deliverance really made us expect the same from the stage.

BMK was absolutely scintillating in the former program on the 18th. It was amazing witnessing his finesse in fleeting across two octaves. Gosh! that is truly amazing voice. Pandit Ajoy had tough time catching up (like I know a thing #-o). And it wasn't just me who felt that way. Some seasoned listeners said Ajoy's part failed to impress them. The program was more inclined to the hindustani genre for which I don't hold the talent to appreciate it as much as carnatic. Somehow I feel hindustani is blander or lacks the vibrancy that I find in carnatic genre. And being little shorter than two hours, it really didn't feel complete. But my objective to witness BMK was fulfilled :). Unfortunately I forgot my camera so had to do with my mobile. The two on stage were so bright and glittering in pearl white and gold that my mobile saw everything in white :D.


Explaining about the mOhana veenai Posted by Picasa

The finale of the event was a treat. This was the first time I'v heard the chitrai veenai and mOhana veenai (which is adopted from a guitar) at a concert. The highlight of the concerts was the RTP which began in raagam keeravaani for it was absolute bliss, the crowd completely enraptured. Finally the percussionists taunting (friendly of course) one another by singing and challenging the other to play it was fun fun fun to listen. It was innovative for it is quite uncommon these days. All thanks to "Umayalpuram K Sivaraman" initiation on the spur :). And this just came at the moment when I felt the concert wasn't justice to the percussionists. Lasting almost close to 30 mins, I felt quite content. Somehow I am beginning to like longer pieces (not me playing any such :D) and lengthy concerts.
It was a good prelude for the season. And I really hate being tied down at the start of the season grrrr. Will publish the schedule for the season soon :). Clinging on to get there ...

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 29, 2006 9:36:00 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

ur into carnatic music too. Wow what an all-rounder in music. ur mobile is not that bad ha :)


Samy d u play any instruments?

Keshi.

 
At Wednesday, November 29, 2006 11:10:00 PM, Blogger SamY said...

ooh that was not from my mobile ... thats my sony cybershot ... I didn't put up the pic I took on mobile ... it was a just patches of colours here there :(

I'v been learning the violin for almost two years now nutty :) ... it helps me keep my composure when I am in pressure

dyu remember that CARVA violin program I wrote about ... I participated in that ... will give ya the links to it :)

 
At Thursday, November 30, 2006 11:03:00 AM, Blogger The Doodler said...

Are you a percussionist by any chance?

 
At Thursday, November 30, 2006 8:30:00 PM, Blogger SamY said...

no subha ... I only wish :D ... naa taalam le laam absolute ZERO

but I'v been learning the violin (carnatic genre) for like two years now @ CARVA :) ... and I trip on kutcheries esp free ones whenever I can ;)

 
At Sunday, December 03, 2006 5:46:00 PM, Blogger Keshi said...

yeah I do rem that Carva post...nice pics ty!

U play the violin? How nice!

Keshi.

 
At Tuesday, December 05, 2006 8:31:00 AM, Blogger Cherry Popcorn said...

Interesting. I wouldn't mind attending one too..

Take care! =)

 
At Tuesday, December 05, 2006 9:03:00 AM, Blogger SamY said...

@keshi:
** U play the violin? How nice!

wait until u listen to it ... u'll take back ur words :D

@shin:
u can still catch something like it during december season fest :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home