Chennai Reverberates once again!!!
It's been exactly a year since I started learning violin :). It was a period when life took a turn for me, and I consciously turned quite unconventional (Some consider it being nuts). Many incidents incited me into this, almost like I am living as though I didn't have much time left. After much deliberation, putting myself in other shoes and anticipating insolent questions and remarks from near and dear ones, I pitched in. Oh yeah, they didn't leave me disappointed, those questions did come in ;).
After consulting with my guru, 15-Dec-2004 was the choosen auspecious day for a new beginning. I still remember having gone empty handed, unaware of the custom of giving the guru dhakshanai with vethalai-pakku, pazham and all :"> he he. The moment I entered I saw the life size hand-painted aanjaneeyar and stood starring at it for a while. I ain't a spiritualits nor an atheist, but he is special to me n so was that moment. My guru held my hands and taught me how to hold the violin, the bow, the posture n all and I was playing "Open String Sa and Pa" ... ha ha =)).
It was past 8pm that day, and exactly once year since then I was at Vani Mahal (tonight) attending one of the earlier concerts of Sudha Raghunathan (ACE as I'd refer hence forth) for this season.
Yes folks, December Season 2005 is rocking n rolling. And I have plans to make the best of it at the cost of all. Already works in shambles to start with, but thats always the case even otherwise, so ;).
So it begins with ACE :) with her warmups. Only thing on my mind today were a problem and wanting to attend her concert. Not sure if I'd get the tickets being the 1st time, kept my fingers crossed. And I made it comfortably with some surprises.
First this gentleman, who welcomed me and opened the seat next to him, asking - "From US of A?". I was like "what the hell?", in my mind of course. Sat down with a glare, saying "NO". Another soul to whome I looked familiar (this time it was - "you look like my son, its been 4 years now since I'v seen him. He usually comes over for this season ... blah blah blah" #-o ). Against all odds, I got all too comfortable with him. Some of the perks of the season - greater probablity of meeting like minded people.
And the otherside an old lady (a patti), who has come down from delhi for about a month to attend the season :-o. I asked her a couple of times in disbelied ;;), whatever she thought for that. So people were all set - enthusiasts relaxing n getting snug, other with scratch pads and books that give the ragam and talam information for a song. And me with my official diary (putting it to good use finally :p) and my camera.
Chennai Reverberates - Samy reports from Sudha Raghunathans Concert @ Vani Mahal
Singing - Shree Chakra Raaja Nilayee (Ragam: Sivasakthi)
Enough ado. I am only a dilettant so disregard any inadvertent judgemental remarks I may make. These are just my perspective of it from a pedestrian pov. Here is the list of songs I managed to note down -
- Yevareeyee %(*&(*@#!!&(#* - no idea :(
- srI mahaagaNapathim bajE - no idea, but google hints it is in gowLa / aThaaNaa :-??.
- Swaminatha Paripalayemam - not sure if I noted it correctly ~x(.
- tuLasi dalamulacE - \:D/ ... I was ecstatic when I heard the verses. Why? Coz one of my favourite songs from Ilayaraaja's - "How To Name It?", is based on this song ;)) set in maayamaaLava gowLa. The song goes by the title "Study of Violin" in that album. It was such a pleasure to hear the pure carnatic counterpart. But HTNI is seared in my mind. I was humming this song on my way back home. Imbibed over years of hearing.
- shree chakraraaja nilayE - in raagam sivasakthi. Started off with raagam improvisation after she proclaimed the raagam. And as she song I recognized what was comming - this song from the album Sankarabharanam ;). And it very well was. Enjoyed it IMMENSELY.
- paalvaDiyum mugam - set in naaTTai kurinji, another new song for me ;)
- a master piece my M.D.Ramathan - as claimed by the gentleman who sat beside me, :-?? .
- dhEhi thava - set in lovely sahAnA, I really liked this piece. Yet another new one.
- Om Saravanabhavanin Thiru Mandhiram - :-?? .
- aadi seedhaley yeshodey jagadhodharana - :-?? .
- Sai Bhajai - sai rAmA sai rAmA satya sai rAmA nAmA - :-??
- koovi azhaittaal - set in valaji. Another new track :).
- kurai onDrum illai - set in rAgamAlika. The 1st of the tukdas and the last too :D.
Much I have to learn from this concert. I plan to attend 2/3 more concerts of ACE's this season. I have quite high expectations when it comes to ACE. This was an very good concert, but I want to see her in her raakshasee form, unrelenting - more like who would quit first the artist / the audience; neegela / naana. Guess concerts through sabha's are different, and I'd get used to it :).
A year since I started learning, and how better can it get that to be @ ACE's concert marking the beginning of my spell for this season. Yippieeeeeeee!!!
Rigging my folks @ home for the upcomming ones. Scores of more artists to catch up with. So stay tuned ...