Saturday, March 25

shrimpuss uglous from hellus

That was the most catchy nomenclature I came across in the book :D. Ration being that this ocean dwelling species resembled a shrimp whist the discoverer found it to be ideously ugly and hell being its habitat (probably something more hideous than those hydrovents they show in the discovery channel).

I'd been grounded at home, so I went about reading a few novels day-in and out. Took me two days to complete this fello, which is pretty good given my poor reading habits. I just can't read for long, so even with frequent breaks I managed well. Seasoned readers shouldn't take more than a day.

Am a little tired of the author for his structure of the plot. And I feel the success of his books is given to his carrying the story with a good pace and very happening, like a hollywood blockbuster. His stories fits well into the movie framework. Always putting a female character in command of the chase. Not to mention that she's sexy or intelligent and kinda both. The lead male character not too good with the women obviously, protective and whose mind works when the damsel shuts down. And other very strong characters to suppliment the duo. Perfect setting for a sci-fi fantasy story.

I have to admit, even tho it ain't as good as Angels & Demons or DaVinci Code I hardly kept the book down of boredom. He sure's good at keeping the readers engrossed. Ans sure he's put in a lot of facts with his own twist to science much like Michael Crighton.

His ever-pervasive style of the villian starring upfront, I'd say he turned Angels & Demons upside-down for this opus. And his story which attacks cherished institutions makes the story even more gripping.

In fact I felt like watching an episode of X-Files at first until more and more of the political scene kicked. I was even wondering if some alien (as in wierd) creature is gonna come up in the most unassuming hour. Well no :( and still it lived up.

And as always his last chapter is about romance, as in tamil movies - The End, Ellaam Nalam (translated all's swell), And They Lived Happily There After ... And for whatever reason the guy is no good at it. Even this is very coherently adhered to in all this books.

I'd say even Chidambara Ragasiyam unfolds pretty much the same way as Marma Deesam: Vidadhu karuppu as much as Dan Browns stories. Probably the same reason I find em all holding onto me.

Definitely on my recommendation, when you want to kill time and yet feel good about how you did it ;). Actually it is a good book to read and not just to kill time. But doesn't live up to Angels & Demons, 'DaVinci Code' but comes close to 'Digital Fortress'. Happy Reading ...

Labels:

5 Comments:

At Sunday, March 26, 2006 6:04:00 AM, Blogger IcEyeZ said...

well you know that author might get sued for his mythological fantasies in DaVinci Code ? ;)

 
At Sunday, March 26, 2006 11:01:00 AM, Blogger Marutham said...

Hi Samy,
First time here.Hopped thro Senthils....Enna orey MARMA thodar mari irukku unga postu!! Angels & demons....Heard of it before.Had not read but..Will try to.. :) Nice blog!
Regards,
Marutham.

 
At Sunday, March 26, 2006 8:47:00 PM, Blogger SamY said...

@iceyez: copyright problem actually, some ppl need attention and are making an issue out of it

@marutham: nice having u here dude. I just njoi mystery plots a lot. Read it dude, u'd perhaps thank me for it ;)

 
At Tuesday, March 28, 2006 7:36:00 AM, Blogger senthil natarajan said...

rams, if you are all tat vetti then try
prey -MC
SPHERE -MC
a typical crichton, i found em both better or atleast as good as Angels n Demons....

 
At Wednesday, March 29, 2006 9:00:00 PM, Blogger SamY said...

I have read sphere ... will try for prey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home