Tuesday, March 21

We The Living - Do You Live?

Many people find Ayn Rand writings too radical and more to digest, for few are lost in the veneer of the plot. Whilst others just dun buy while it leaves other question their strong held convictions. And some people are more aversed to profanity (in their humble opinion) used though her works, oblivious to the essence expressed. Guess thats fear of being spoilt. Individuals not sure of themselves and their values, is all I can say about them.

I simply find her writings quite insightful in so many aspects and not just philosophical. As much radical and contemporary are her thoughts which question our traditional school of thoughts and customs, being open to such ideas adds to refinement of ones ideals and a better understanding of our society and its vagaries.

This is a much difficult to read book of her's compared to The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged (my favourite of her writings) for its a tragedy. I somehow sensed it to be a prequel or pedesal for her above mentioned works. A more dark and glum background per se, hopeless if I might add.

I should admit that I buy her idea of "Rational Individualism" and "Highest Reverence" to life. The reason for which I shall deffer until one of my future posts.

The is by far her work which I find purely celebrates life and the primary essence of the human intellect, without attacking society. Her emphasis that being singled out does not mean you should give in is very intriguing. Guess thats what makes a few individuals stand out of the millions.

A definite read, for champions of her work & philosophy. Definite food for thought. Happy Reading ;).

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, April 05, 2006 7:08:00 PM, Blogger Arvind Srinivasan said...

I dont think 'happy reading' would ever be associated with A.R in my world.

Having said, i really liked couple of things in The Fountainhead i liked are

1) Very realistic characters (except the hero ofcourse ;) - who we would only associate ourselves every now and then)

2) Every time there is a losing game that hero is involved, you'd think he come out trumps - but he loses yet again

I did not like the climax - which is like 'her principles' through the entire book were forgotten conveniently for the purposes of the climax

 
At Wednesday, April 05, 2006 7:10:00 PM, Blogger Arvind Srinivasan said...

I dont think 'happy reading' would ever be associated with A.R in my world.

Having said, i really liked couple of things in The Fountainhead i liked are

1) Very realistic characters (except the hero ofcourse ;) - who we would only associate ourselves every now and then)

2) Every time there is a losing game that hero is involved, you'd think he come out trumps - but he loses yet again

I did not like the climax - which is like 'her principles' through the entire book were forgotten conveniently for the purposes of the climax

 

Post a Comment

<< Home