Thursday, July 2

Following in AWE

No it wasn't some lovely girl or something such :). It was just a blind man walking steadfast with his walking stick. All I felt was awe and zilch pity.

It was just amazing watching him navigate his way sensing the world with the end of a stick. He stood right at the pedestrian crossing waiting for the pedestrian signal and beeps to go.

I couldn't differentiate the beep between the direction I was to take and the perpendicular one. But he did :). We could say I never had to or haven't trained myself to do it. Bit still it was an awe moment.

He crossed the road at the signal and so flawlessly handled the curb. He was steadfast and in fact was walking quicker than I. Okie! he was tall and had a longer stride (and thats to satisfy my ego)!

After our ways split I wondered how I've taken my vision for granted and have never felt a pint of gratitude for it. And it reminded me of this anecdote -

A blind man went to a doctor who promised to restore his eyesight. The doctor explained it all and said - "Once you get your vision you wouldn't need you walking stick anymore. You can throw that away :).". The blind man got a little scared and asked - "I understand that I will be able to see, but how will I walk if I don't have my walking stick?"

Reminds me of how institutionalized we get to become as we "grow up".

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Saturday, July 04, 2009 11:58:00 PM, Blogger Rakesh Vanamali said...

Good account! Most often we take for granted the many things that are truly a luxury!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home