Monday, October 10

a movie forgotten?

anjali anjali anjali ... chinna kammani kammani kammani
anjali anjali anjali ... minum mimmmi mimmmi mimmmi ...

Anjali - the movie that came out in 1990 when I was pretty much the same size as those vandus in the movie ... movie that gave the baby gals accolate beyond par ... the project was an amazin success ... it impressed a whole lot of the mass ... music score by illaiyaraaja ... the songs took by storm ... the lyrics were just so nice ... simple yet impressive

I still remember the dance steps by the kids which became so famous ... yeah where the stand with their legs wide apart ... arms crossed and palms clasped to the knees ... they bring the knees together and magically the hands seem to cross over to the other ... it was pretty much adpoted in most school culturals @ the period ... even I tried my hand @ it once ;p ... no more comments :D

it is still a fun movie to watch ... the perky kids just frolicking every day of their lives ... the fun is just amazing to watch ... the crushes ... n the blushes when some kids kiss ... ha ha ... n the rest waiting for every opportunity to pull ppl legs ... weekend galata's ... well a bit unrealistic Mani Rathnam was there ... but movies are about expressing our imaginations too ... you always like people to say that you are a social butterfly, success comes to you very easily ... it just like that ... a dream that the movie gives ... makes you feel ... life would be so nice that way 8->

and another reason for my penchant ... my appa's colleague's (a family friend) son acted in that movie the 1st time ... Anand ;) (and uncle n aunty also gt make guest appearence) ... oh yeah the same kid who acted in "May Maadham" as well ... if u remember Mangatha n stuff ... I just saw him on T.V. n was like O.M.G. how thin n stick like was he n now he grown ... no definitely not grown like Jayam Ravi who happened to study in my batch in JV ... but u know kids change so much ... I used to borrow my neighbours personal copy of the movie n watch it afte school ... not as much as M.M.K.R but next to it :)

some scenes in the movie r just so very nice ... I luv the scene wher Tarun introduces anjali to the kids ... n anand peeps his face into the kids ... n then ... gimme five ... yaaaayyyyyy ... thats a nice scene ...

oh yeah of course the touchy scenes b/w the siblings n anjali when they refuse to glue initial and then just fall so much in love ... esp when anand get hurt n anjali starts crying ... hmm so natural ... only when someone expresses such feelin / concern dyu realize how much they luv u ... ha ha okey no senti ... but I think the movie brought out some very very basic emotion in all of us ... Mani Rathnam's magic

another beautiful scene is after the society meeting ... when ppl request for the retarded kid to be kept away ... Shekar's (Raghuvaran) daughter Shruthi asks very cooly ... "yen pa avu yengaluku thangacheeya porandha, pakkathu aathula porandhurukelam ... illai aathula porandhurukelam ... yen avu inga vandhu porandha" ... ha ha ... the gals tone impresses me every time I listen to it ... know what they say - ignorance is bliss :) ...

the climax scene - "Yezundhuru Anjali Yezundhuru" ... is probably the most talked about in the movie ... n of course copied in so many instance ... dun't remember every mocking this movie in ... sunrise top 10 :))

songs again were gr8 ... I'll go from my favourites ... (listen to em here)
  1. Something Something - super hit ... my favourite in the movie ... kids dancing with all swanky moves was just so awe ... a dance track I'd say ... just lovely
  2. Motta Madi - ha ha ... this is a thirutu romance themed song ... ha ha ... the picturization was nice ... song lived up ... nuthin flashy as todays track ... simple n nice
  3. Anjali Anjali - oh yeah starts with the baby singing then blends into the chorous ... starts in a sad mood n then turns gay ... brings out some change in emotion @ heart :)
  4. Iravu Nillavu - in Janaki's ever sweet voice ... a new year bash song ... just gr8 ... again the kids n picturisation adds magic to it :)
  5. Vaanam Nammuku - I somehow like the choice of words in the song ... its the meaning that attracts me to this song ... like you are expanding you mind ... gud one
  6. Vegam Vegam - an chimerical setting to the song ... reminds me of an adoptation from the movie E.T. as the kids drive their cycles into the skies ... neat but not as impressive
  7. Rathiri Nerathil - starts from a bed time story by das to his kids ... I think it blended with the movies but did't stand out as a track as such
if I remember correctly this movie starred chorus but Illu's kids ... n few other I believe ... I don't remember those details vividly ... maybe readers can add to it ...

just happened to watch some scenes of the movie b/w the commercials thru serials ... so didn't watch it fully ... but yes if I sit down I think I'll njoi it ... a lot compared to many tawdry n trite masala movies of the day ... no big message or anythin

a perfect mixture the movie was ... frolicking ... romance ... emotion ... anguish ... gud times ... tragedy, a movies where you laugh, you cry n u feel it all ... that give a feelin of a satisfactory movie ... may not be a blockbusted ... but it has made history :) ... most importantly in a positive way ;)

Labels:

9 Comments:

At Monday, October 10, 2005 9:43:00 PM, Blogger anantha said...

The same Anand that you are talk ing about writes here ----> http://mdeii.blogspot.com/

 
At Tuesday, October 11, 2005 12:09:00 AM, Blogger ada-paavi!!!! said...

anjali, super philim, very very good,

romba yoikeraiya?? illati super vetti and posting so often?

 
At Tuesday, October 11, 2005 12:58:00 AM, Blogger Ram said...

I think recently, they showed Anjali on some channel...gave me the feel-good factor when I watched it..
And the Shruit that you are talkin abt...was one of my friends..In fact we used to rag her about the scene in the end..where she goes like.." Anjali yaaendhru Anjali..Anjali..yaendhru Anjali"..for some 10 times

 
At Tuesday, October 11, 2005 1:01:00 AM, Blogger SamY said...

no vetti X-( ... I had this ready n in Q for almost a week now :D ... to address my short term memory loss (w.r.t memos).

 
At Tuesday, October 11, 2005 7:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude...anjali was one beautiful and awesome movie.
Unfortunately i just watched it once..and now that u made me remember it..shud watch the movie sometime.

 
At Tuesday, October 11, 2005 10:22:00 PM, Blogger radiantbear said...

yeah that was one unforgetable movies even thought I was just 6 yrs old when that released.. I have seen that movies lots of times..


And that movie has it all...the Indian way!!

Cheers,
Nanyaar?

 
At Wednesday, October 12, 2005 8:09:00 AM, Blogger SamY said...

@aNTi: thnx bud ... small world :)

@ram: s on thursday ... thats how I gt write this post ... wowzer ... yezundhuru anjali =)) ... used to ridicule so often .. poor shruthi ... I can imagine :)

@godo: come home dude ... n watch it till u feel surfeit

@neeyar-nu-thereeyaadhu: it worth seeing such movies many times ... esp with long gaps ... so njoi'able

 
At Thursday, October 13, 2005 11:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suddenly thought about this movie today. Donno why. And then seeing your mail brought back so many memories. Sweet memories.

 
At Thursday, October 13, 2005 11:30:00 AM, Blogger SamY said...

welcome here ducky ... memories for so many I believe :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home