CARVA @ Thiruvaiyaaru 2007
Since we were not blessed by rain god, the afternoon went without any plans. Of course no restrictions on road cricket ;), while others beat the heat staying indoors.
Like we did last year, there was Nadaharam on saturday evening followed by vocal recital for all those who wished to.
Nandu & Deepu (darlings of CARVA) were back again with 3 songs this time. One of them (set to kamaas) was my favourite and turned out to be a treat. Amazingly crisp as they reached high pitch. Nandu's mazhalai voice was an added attraction.
As to how good they were, listen and decide for youself ;). But trust me, you wouldn't be even a wee bit disappointed :).
- seetApatE nA manasuna (kamaas) powered by ODEO
- nAradamuni veDalina (pantuvaraaLi) powered by ODEO
- vandanamu raghunandanA (sahaana) powered by ODEO
Unlike last time we had three groups this year. The junior group played -
- girirAja suthA (R:bangaaLa) powered by ODEO
- thelisi rAma (R: poornachandrika) powered by ODEO
- sarasa sAma dAna (R: kaapi naaraayaNi) powered by ODEO
- ananda saagara (R: garuDadhvani) powered by ODEO
- sara sara samarai (R: kuntala varaaLi) powered by ODEO
And then it was turn for the group to which I belonged. Although our guru had apprehensions that most of the songs were quite well paced and we as to whethere we could keep up, the accompanists came to our rescue and it turned out much better than anticipated ;). Here are the songs we played.
- rama bakthi (R: sudda bangaaLa) powered by ODEO
- brOva bhAramA (R: bahudaari) powered by ODEO
- bhavanuta nA hrdayamuna (R: mOhanam) powered by ODEO
- niravadhi sukhada (R: ravi chandrika) powered by ODEO
- anaathuDanu gaanu (R: jingala) powered by ODEO
And finally the senior students who played the main section of the event. nagumOmu was the main piece a must listen for carnatic fans. Its a very rare opportunity to listen to our guru play and turned out to be a treat to the ears for one and all. The following were the songs played by the senior students -
- raghunAyakA (R: hamsadwani) powered by ODEO
- saadinchanE (R: aarabi) powered by ODEO
- bAgAyanayya (R: chandrajyOthi) powered by ODEO
- marugElarA O rAghavA (R: jayanthashree) powered by ODEO
- manasA shrI (R: eesamanOhari) powered by ODEO
- nagumOmu ganalEni (R: aabhEri) powered by ODEO
- nenaruncinAnu (R: maaLavi) powered by ODEO
- gandhamu puyyarugA (R: puNAgavarALi) powered by ODEO
- seetha kalyaaNa (R: shankaraabharaNam) powered by ODEO
- jO jO rAma (R: reeti gowLa) powered by ODEO
It is yet another memorable experience for us all. Had the sun been more relenting we could have visited more temples. Nevertheless it was loads of fun with so many kids around. The best part of this program is how much it motivates us to play much better than we do ;).
Right now I am just totally lost in this phrase from jO jO rAma - N2 S N2 D2 M1 G2 R1 P M1 G2 R2 S (not sure if I deciphered it correctly, of course with help from lil swarna). Its been running in my mind all evening :) and listened to that song countless times today. Simple, yet so mesmerizing. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to earn for a living :D to enjoy such blissful things in life, but thats far from life. Guess i'll cut it down to this for now. Loads of work to catch up. Do listen and enjoy the music (Click on the title link or here for the entire set) . Adios for now.